Revised March 2019
NIDA is playing a major role in the National Institutes of Health (NIH) HEAL initiative (Helping to End Addiction Long-term), launched in April 2018 to provide scientific solutions to the national opioid overdose crisis, including improved treatment strategies for pain as well as opioid use disorders (OUDs). This new initiative, funded by Congress, brings new hope for people, families, and communities affected by this devastating crisis.
Learn more about the NIH HEAL Initiative
NIDA is coordinating the following research projects around the country:
- Enhancing the NIDA Clinical Trials Network to Address Opioids
- Focusing Medication Development to Treat Opioid Use Disorder and Prevent/Reverse Overdose
- HEALing Communities Study
- Justice Community Opioid Innovation Network
- Preventing At-Risk Adolescents Transitioning into Adulthood from Developing Opioid Use Disorder
- Managing Opioid Misuse and Low-Severity Opioid Use Disorder
- HEALthy Brain and Child Development Study
Emerging Trends & Alerts
Get more information on Emerging Trends and Alerts, we will update this page with the latest research findings as they develop.
Get this Publication
Find information about addiction and mental health services in your area. You can search by state or zip code online or call the number. (SAMHSA)