Anabolic steroids are synthetic variations of the male sex hormone testosterone. The proper term for these compounds is anabolic-androgenic steroids. "Anabolic" refers to muscle building, and "androgenic" refers to increased male sex characteristics. Some common names for anabolic steroids are Gear, Juice, Roids, and Stackers. Read the DrugFacts
Statistics and Trends
Swipe left or right to scroll.
|Drug||Time Period||8th Graders||10th Graders||12th Graders|
- NIDA for Teens: Anabolic Steroids
- Message From the Director: Consequences of the Abuse of Anabolic Steroids (Archives) (March, 2005)
- ATLAS (Athletes Training and Learning to Avoid Steroids - for men) - (Oregon Health and Science University Web Site)
- ATHENA (Athletes Targeting Healthy Exercise and Nutrition Alternatives - for women) - (Oregon Health and Science University Web Site)
- MEDLINEplus Health Information on Drug Abuse - National Library of Medicine, NIH
- www.abovetheinfluence.com - Office of National Drug Control Policy
- healthfinder.gov - U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Past information on many drugs of abuse is available on our Archives site.
Clinical trials are research studies in human volunteers conducted to answer specific health questions. Learn about the NIH-sponsored clinical trials available to you.
- NIDA Clinical Trial Locator - answer a few simple questions and get contact information for Clinical Trials near you.
Other Clinical Trials information sources:
- NIH Clinical Trials and You - NIH site that helps explain about clinical trials and why people participate.
- NIDA Trials at ClinicalTrials.gov - a resource of federally and privately supported clinical trials.
- Clinical Research Studies from the National Drug Abuse Treatment Clinical Trials Network (CTN) - a NIDA coordinated network of research institutions conducting human trials on drug abuse solutions.
- Research Studies at NIDA Intramural Research Program - located in Baltimore, Maryland.
Emerging Trends & Alerts
Get more information on Emerging Trends and Alerts, we will update this page with the latest research findings as they develop.
Get this Publication
Cite this article
NIDA. (). Steroids (Anabolic). Retrieved from http://www.henanqingdian.com/drugs-abuse/steroids-anabolic
Other Articles of Interest
Find information about addiction and mental health services in your area. You can search by state or zip code online or call the number. (SAMHSA)